Friday, August 15, 2003

Summer Vacation : In my eyes
It was June 6th, 2003 and it was my last day of Junior high school. At the end of that week, on June 12th, Dad had to go to the hospital to get ready for his surgery which was scheduled for June 13th. He got the reverse bypass surgery, and afterward, he was touch and go for a while. The doctors said his tissue inside was very weak and thin and they were unable to give him the gastrul bypass surgery, but luckily, he made it through. For the next 8 weeks, Dad was in the hospital. Sometimes, he had a roommate, other times, he had a private room. He was constantly on medication. Apparently one of them was keeping him alive. But it's now August 15th, and he was just recently moved to a nursing home. He is supposed to stay there for 20 days for healing and things like that. His roommate there is really nice, and his room doesn't smell half as bad as the hallways, which spell of urine. He is able to move around, with his walking stick, and he enjoys sitting in front of the building on the bench, watching cars go by and sometimes smoking a cigarette. He finally got himself down to 5 per day. He told us about one time when he was sitting outside, an older man walked up to him and said "You know, my son works over there and sells cigarettes, he supplies this place with them." My Dad nodded, but about 30 seconds later the man said it again. The man repeated himself 12 times before my Dad said something. "You know, you've told me this story already," he said politely. The man looked at him "Oh, I did? Well, you know..my son," the man said it again. I guess the man had memory loss.
But as for my summer vacation...We haven't done much of anything at all. Crystal and I sit at home all day, watching TV or going online. It's not much of a life, but I'm happy with it. At the beginning of this summer, I felt like I was cursed, like I had it the worst. And throughout the summer, I came to resent my mother, for the time that she called Dad up in the hospital and started yelling at him, saying it has been way too long that he's been in the hospital, acting as if he had control over it. And the times that she refused to drive us places. I resented her for never thanking my Dad for allowing her to use his truck, and for acting like he owed her something for sometimes driving us places. But now, I thank God for what I've got. Most people would get depressed, as I did at first. But I decided I'd like to rise above it all. I decided that I'm lucky enough to have people offering to drive us places, like our downstairs neighbor, Dawn. She is a really nice lady, and seems to want to help out a lot. And Grant, my Dads best friend, who has driven Dad to and from the hospital. And then there's aunt Kathy, who continuously offers to drive us to visit Dad, and who offered to drive us to school. People have been really supportive, and it's great.
Also this summer, Jackie, Julia, and Jill have helped Crystal and me find God. They showed us the truth, and since then, things have been pretty bumpy. But if I listen to what Julia told us, that the Devil is always ready to pounce on us, to leap at every opportunity to lead us away from God, then I need to remember that every obstacle I encounter, I must turn to God for help. Which is really hard, since I cant get immediate results. And then there is the change in lifestyle that I am trying to make. I am trying to listen to more Christian music, rather than secular, but with my friends, who listen to Goth music and so on, it's really hard to say, be in the car with them and ask to change it to KLOVE 94.3 (Christian Radio Station). So, I'm trying to take it slow, to allow God to help me change throughout the years. Problem is, I don't want to change, I'm happy the way I am. All I can do is pray that God will first help me to want to change, then actually help me change. Also, I am trying to show my friends the truth. I don't want to push it, but I cant help but wonder, what if I am the one who is supposed to help them, and if I don't, they wont ever be saved. It's a dramatic thought, but I cant stand the fact that if they died tomorrow, they'd go to hell. So, I talk to them about it, but it's all just empty words. When your on the outside, a non-Christian, things like saying 'just pray to God' or 'God will help' just seem empty. I know, because they were just words when I wasn't a Christian.
So, this summer has been pretty eventful. I dont think I'll ever forget it, and I never want to. I have grown up so much in these last 3 months. And I've learned so much, it's just really crazy. It is experiences like this that make me want to become a writer. I hope that maybe, one of my stories can inspire a kid to be better, just one, and I'd be happy. So, that's my story..^_^


I wrote this, because I am really bored, and it's clear in my mind. I need to start getting back in the groove of things before school starts. You know, WHAT?!

No comments: