Monday, August 15, 2005

Middle Earth. "The Land"

August 7, 2005
This morning we went to UBC and worshipped with David Crowder. It was really cool, I thought, because they left the lights off –for the most part- and it took away a bit of the self conscious attitude while worshipping. I loved the music, I loved the atmosphere, and the message was good but it felt a lot more like a youth group than a church to me. I think it was an awesome experience but I don’t think I could go there every week and feel satisfied. There has been some talk about that church today: “Did you like it?” “What do you think about them playing secular music in the background?” We talked a bit about this stuff at a coffee house called Common Ground. On a tangent, I will say that Common Ground is an awesome place and it is the typical coffee house – very artsy, very calm, very cool, laid back. I loved that place. But back to the day. After Common Ground, we drove out to “The Land” – or what is better known as “Middle Earth.” There was a house that we crowned “Sheelabs lair” and a field that I crowned the Shire. We basically gave everything a name. While there, the Judy’s brought over their ATV’s and allowed everyone to go four-wheeling (I chose not to). Then they gave everyone a chance to shoot off a gun (I chose not to again.) Later in the night we had a campfire and sang worship songs around it. That was probably my favorite part of the day. After that, Dan, Erik, Daniel, Jason, David, Paul, Charisse, Julia, Lindsey, Charity, and myself went out to a former graveyard on the Land and tried to dig up a grave. I actually didn’t dig but it was cool all the same. We only got about three feet down when we realized it was going to take way too long and we gave up.

No comments: