Monday, July 12, 2004

The Speach

Suday for church the youth group was giving the service. The roots band was leading worship, and then for the sermon, all the youth and leaders from New York were going to give a 5 minute or less speach about something we learned or a moment we had. Afterwards we were going to perform the drama. We were supposed to be there at 9:30 am so we could practice and just so nobody would freak out that someone wasnt going to show up or something. Well, satan attacked us. Crystals alarm didnt go off..and my cell was on silence all. To make a sad story short, we didnt wake up until 10:45, and we missed the whole thing. But, this is the speach I was going to give...


So much happened during the trip to New York and its hard to pick one thing that stood out to me above all the others. But something I learned that I know is going to help me a lot in my walk with God is just that God will will be done. We were in East Harlem and the truck to deliver the food was late. I began to get really frusterated. I was thinking "Dude, we came all the way from Chicago to New York to do Gods work and witness to people, and here are these people just showing up late or not even coming!" But I caught myself thinking like that and I knew if I didnt do something about it now Id feel like that the rest of the day. (Even though I still felt I was completely justified in how I was feeling) So, instead of letting it get to me, I started praying. I said "God..please just first fill me with peace about all this. Next God, please show me what you want us to do. Should we stay, or leave? Is there something else here you want us to be doing?" And after I finished, one of the girls asked a leader if they could play with the kids at the park a few feet away. It took me awhile to realize but that turned out to be the real reason we were there. Those kids were the reason God had the truck show up late and gave us so much free time. I realized through this that all I need to do is ASK God what he wants me to do. I remembered that I have to ask him, because so many times I think things and feel like He knows what Im asking because He knows my every thought, but the truth is I need to ask Him and then He will answer. I learned that through prayer and petition all things are possible. Philippians 4:6-7 says "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and petition with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God...will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
I learned even though half of the things are satan trying to stop Gods word from being spread, Gods will is going to be done. God is all powerful, the Alpha and the Omega.Its not my problem is were running late or I shouldnt be getting frusterated. For those times that I feel like satan is getting control of the situation; like he has a huge blanket over me and has the situation in his hands, I have to remember that God also has an even bigger blanket over satan. I learned that I just need to bring it to God because he says in 1 Peter 5:7 "Cast all your anxiety on Him because he cares for you." I know no burden is too big for God to take from me. Learning this was humbling, encouraging, and a boost of faith. Praise the Lord.

No comments: