Monday, July 05, 2004

June 28 (12:26 PM New York Time)

Im in this park in East Harlem now. Were taking a break for lunch before we start the prayer table. I think Ill end up walking around directing people to the table where people get prayed for by members of our team.. I cant pray aloud so I dont think I'll be good for that job. I dont know what we'll be doing after this. Right now, I honestly want to be alone somewhere, reading and listening to music. But I know thats not a good attitude so Im about to pray for it. In front of me now I see a small black fence standing about 2 feet off the ground with some grass and trees inside. Jason and Tony are talking about jumping over it and doing cartwheels over it. :-) The little kids are listening to rap music. One ran around holding up his shirt and yelling "its getting hot in here so take off all your clothes!" A few more people joined the team today. Theyre brothers, Jonathan and Martin. They seem like great people, and I think I saw them at church but Im not sure. Also, 2 ladies. One from France named Dominique and this lady, Ina (I think her name was) Im still paranoid a bird is going to poop on my head. Theyre droppings are coming awfully close..


June 29 (1:55 AM New York time)

Today has been crazy! Or, more likely it should be called yesterday. The truck of food didnt arrive until about 2:00 pm. While we were waiting, Charisse, Jackie, Jonathan and Christen went and played with the kids. Me and Jill did a bit but Im not good with kids. The kids got really attatched to them. Christen said three people got saved, so that is really cool. :-D After the truck finally got there, we unloaded and bagged up 6000 lbs of groceries. Soon I heard things about people gossiping about eachother and starting drama. It all got really frusterating soon because I felt like.. "dude, were in NYC on a missions trip and we still carry this drama...were just letting the devil right through" I felt like satan was gaining control of the situation. I know Im part to blame due to the fact that I let myself get frusterated. I let those stupid jealous feeling from the devil creep in and it got so ridiculous. I talked to Jackie about it though, the jealous feelings and I know its satan. Because under normal circumstances, my first reaction to meeting a new guy is not "ooh, is he single?!" but today it was. I feel a bit better now after talking with Jax. So much of me just wishes Heidi was here though. Anyway, I havent really talked to anyone or prayed out loud yet and we only have three more days! Its weird..when I first got here I hated the city. The smell, the traffic, the people. But slowly (or..quickly) I have come to love it all. Well, maybe not the smell. ::shifty eyes:: I have gained such a serious love and heart for the city and the people here. Though a small part of me wouldnt mind going home, to just be with Cleo and talk with my friends. More so I want to stay. Everywhere I go I can feel His presence and doing work in me. I really think this trip is to help me grow closer to Him and not as much to witness. I know Im here to witness and plant seeds, and I am trying, but also I can see God is doing a work in me that will change me completely. Welp, anyway. Jonathan loves my name. He keeps saying "Naomi Star!" its so funny.
At one point during the day Kumar and Jason started to help me run bags and pack them because most everyone had gone inside and I was still outside working. Another crazy thing was when Chap told the girls that some guys stuck around all day a the park and were just watching us, waiting for us to be alone. Kumar also told Chap that when we hear someone yelling, its good to duck because a gun shot could go off soon. (Good thing they didnt tell us while we were there or I'd have been freaking out the whole time) They compared East Harlem to being the Caprene Green (sp?) of New York.
Lastly, at dinner when I wasnt hunrgy, Jason decided to make a deal with me. He said, 'a compromise.' "One..you eat this food.." or "two..you pray out loud once this week" My jaw dropped. it was so funny! I never picked, but yeah. Also, me and him managed to get a free refill. I went up the counter and held out my drink and said "Can I have a refill please?" and the guy was like "no..no free refill here" and I looked down and said 'oh'then the guy said "ok ok, only you get refill, but thats it" So Jason looked up, with this face like "Wha..?" It was soo funny! He looked so hurt. So the guy refilled his too. Hah

No comments: