Sunday, April 30, 2006

Global Night Commute
Well last night was pretty much amazing. Despite the rain and the wind, things went awesome. The turnout was way more than I expected when it started to rain - there much have been at least a thousand, but maybe more. When we got there we started to set up the two large blue tarps that the Judes brought but we put the one with holes in it on top so soon after we had to flip them. Once we got the one without holes, though smaller, on top things went alright. Jill and I walked back and forth for about two hours probably in the rain just talking, I called Taylor at about 12 to see if he had any ideas about what else me and Jill could do and to make sure he wasnt getting drunk, lol. Then, at about 12:30 there was a group prayer where about 200-300 people gathered together to pray for the situation in Uganda. After praying, they all began to sing but by that point a few of us had already gone back to the tent because we finished praying early.

Anyway, Taylor called me at 3:20 AM and was saying some pretty werid stuff... Very bizarra... After I got off the phone with him me and Jill and most of the rest of the group were playing games, like the 7 degrees of Kevin Bacon and the movie quote game. As people were trying to fall asleep me and Jill started singing random songs. Good times. Around 4:00 I layed down to warm up because I was soaking wet, the wind was blowing on my back along with the drizzles of rain and I was shivering. Ten minutes after I was laying down, half of the tarp above us completely flew up and broke off the hook that we had attatched it to. I jumped up and grabbed it to hold it over the half of the people that were getting rained on and held it up until others came to the rescue.. lol. At that point I just stayed standing through sheer paranoia that the entire set up would collape at any given moment.

At 6 am we all gathered by the Abe Lincoln statue in Grant Park and prepared for pictures. We stood out there as the rain grew harder while Oprahs camera guy set up a crane to videotape the group holding up various signs. By about 7 we were heading back to the tent and cleaning up. Then while we were waiting for few people to get the cars since we all didnt want to walk back, a handful of us went to meet Jacob (one of the invisible children from Uganda). He was really nice and humble - quiet. Anyway, thats the night in a nutshell and Im tired, sore, and sick right now so Im about to head off to bed! :-) Goodnight - twas a wonderful experience and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

2 comments:

ErikTheRedder said...

It was pretty amazing. Did you have a hand in organizing our youth group to go there?

Jason said...

Yes, she did. :)