Wednesday, January 26, 2005

An Essay for English
John Keats, a poet of the 18th century, once said “A thing of beauty is a joy forever,” and I agree with that statement. I think Keats is saying if something is truly beautiful, the joy it brings will last a very long time. When he said beauty, I don’t think he meant the physical beauty but the kind of beauty that gives an outstanding example of its kind. So I think Keats is saying “a thing that gives an outstanding example is the emotion of great happiness forever.”

When I find something I think is beautiful I cherish it, like a treasure. Things of beauty are very common for me to find but things of true beauty, that bring joy that is not temporary, are rare and far between in the world. Joy is beautiful and I think as long as you look at it that way, as being beautiful, joy will last forever.

In my life I have encountered many things that I would consider to be ‘joy forever’. The most impacting beauty I’ve found is the love of the Lord. The love God has for me is so beautiful and so true it brings joy to my heart that will never fade away. The love God has for all of us is an incredible example for us to look to. Over the summer I went on a mission trip with my youth group to New York City. Our purpose in going was to spread the truth of the gospel and it was truly beautiful to see this indescribable amount of joy pierce the hearts of the people who accepted Christ. Revelation 21:4 says “And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain; for the former things are passed away.” My outlook on that verse is ‘what better joy can anyone search for than the eternal joy, promised to us in the bible, if we just accept His truth?’

Recently, the ‘National Church Life Survey’ found that Christians tend to be happier than people who don’t have something to believe in. In my opinion, this proves God is the only thing that can make anyone truly joyful for a long period of time. The joy I get from trusting in God does not compare to any other joy I get from things in the world. I have talked to people in my youth group about the joy we’re developed since we accepted Christ and we agree it is incomparable to any other.

I read a story in “Extreme Devotion” by the Voice of the Martyrs and it established an idea, for me, of what joy really is. The story was about a prisoner named Soon OK Lee from North Korea who heard Christians singing praise on their way to being put to death. She said “While I was there I never saw Christians deny their faith. Not one. When these Christians were silent, the officers would become furious and kick them. At the time, I could not understand why they risked their lives when they could have said, ‘I do not believe,’ and done what they wanted. I even saw many who sang hymns as the kicking and hitting intensified. The officers would call them crazy and take them to the electric-treatment room. I didn’t see one come out alive.” After reading this story over and over again, every time I was feeling down, I began to grow stronger and found the kind of joy that lasts forever.

“A thing of beauty is a joy forever.” John Keats said that in the 18th century and I think it’s a statement that will live on for a very long time. Beauty is something that gives an outstanding example of its kind. Joy is the emotion of great happiness. Therefore, Keats is saying “a thing that gives an outstanding example is the emotion of great happiness forever.” I’m saying God is our example and His love is the outstanding emotion that brings us joy forever.
I dont know if that's good or bad or if it even makes sense but I turned it in so I hope its worthy of advanced english standard! Lol. Well, I started my new classes. Earth Science isn't bad so far, though I cant say much because its only been two days. PE is fine, nothing I didnt expect. It's less than I expected actually. I thought it would be pretty hard but my teacher is really laid back so its pretty cool. English is alright. Im excited because I know Im going to learn a lot but its a lot of work. We have at least 100 index cards for vocabulary a week. The essay I wrote (above) was a sample of where we stand and what we need to work on to improve. And Seminar.. There are some people in there that I just do not like. This one girl today kept jabbing at my faith. From how I look like a "preppy christian" to my jesus freak hoodie. It was just, not cool. I was getting kinda upset because.. 'hello, where does she get off coming to the table I was at first and jabbing remarks about me?!' but whatever. I came home, read Voice of the Martyrs newsletter and Im just, taking it as it comes. its nothing compared to the persecution people around the world are going through so I know I can manage.

No comments: