Thursday, March 23, 2006

“Well, I'm gonna get out of bed every morning... breath in and out all day long. Then, after a while I won't have to remind myself to get out of bed every morning and breathe in and out... and, then after a while, I won't have to think about how I had it great and perfect for a while.” – Sleepless in Seattle

People always ask me now: "How are you doing?" and they expect a deep, meaningful answer in the five minutes they spare to ask the question. Everyone wants to be the one person I confide in. Even in times of spectacular pain, people are selfish. Living in the world for nearly seventeen years, I wouldn't expect this to be a shock but it really is.

Now that almost two weeks has passed, people expect things to be over. Not many seem to realize that it doesnt end at the funeral or the week after it happens - nor two weeks, nor three. This will carry on with me for not only the next few weeks, but months or probably even years. I've heard that a parents death will stay with a person for the rest of their life. So why, then, is it that people think two weeks is enough healing time? Nearly 17 years can not be healed in the busy time span of two weeks.

So, what have I learned so far through all this? Have compassion! It is the only thing that really matters and it is pretty much the only thing I think people should be striving for in their lives.

No comments: