Wednesday, February 15, 2006

My time is wasted EVERYDAY

Today I have a graded discussion in English class about The Scarlet Letter. I hate discussions - I loathe them even! Mostly when I'm graded because I dont like to force what I have to say into the conversation. I much prefer to sit back and listen, and if I disagree then I'll say something... Last year, during the Huck Finn discussion I didn't say anything! Literally, I completely failed. It's so much that I'm nervous to speak up because in context of Truth and Eternity, what I say about a book in some random discussion isn't going to effect the Kingdom and it almost, really seems entirely pointless.

That is something I am definitely sturggling with lately; why do I have to learn about the constitution again and spend hours studying at night for Us history tests and then read random books from the late 1700's and study them for hours for English class and THEN memorize formulas for math class in order to pass this year and move on to trigonometry next year (yay >_> ) No, I just cant wrap my mind around these concepts; I wan't to be studying the bible for hours and be able to debate/talk about certain things in the bible - NOT a random book that in the end means nothing.

In the book I'm reading, "Searching for God knows what" by Donald Miller, he just got done talking about how the Truth is NOT a formula. People these days want everything to be in a chart, graph, or formula but that is not how God is. He said something interesting; men dont write lists about how great their gal is in order to show her how much he cares - he takes everything he loves about her and puts it in the form of a poem. Poetry, not formulas - creativity, not measurments, are what gets to the human heart. Science wants to make it all a head issue but that does nothing for us because we are beings of the heart.

No comments: