Monday, October 10, 2005

Gulu Walk Day - October 22, 2005
Around the world, we're rising to our feet,so Ugandan children can put down their arms.Every night, as many as 40,000 children in northern Uganda "commute" for several miles, to the nearest town, in search of safety. To stay home means risking abduction and life as a child soldier, sex slave or even death.
For 19 years, the Lord's Resistance Army (LRA) has been fighting to overthrow the government of Uganda. LRA rebels based in southern Sudan capture and use children as frontline soldiers. More than 20,000 children have been kidnapped — and the conflict continues
On October 22, in 32 cities around the world, men, women, teens, and families will walk in a show of solidarity with these 'night commuters', the true victims of this all but forgotten 19-year civil war. What started out as an attempt by two young men to better understand the ordeal of these courageous children has grown into an urgent, impassioned worldwide movement for peace.Participating cities include:

USA: Austin, TX
Boston, MA
Chapel Hill, NC
Chicago, IL
Denver, CO
Lawrence, KS
Los Angeles, CA
New York, NY
Pittsburgh, PA
Rochester, NY
Seattle, WA
South Bend, IN
Syracuse, NY
San Diego, CA
Washington, DC

2 comments:

Jason said...

This is awesome Naomi!
Are you going to participate?

-Jason

naomi said...

I want to but I don't know who else can go. I know my mom is working and as far as I know, my sister is also... So if I can find someone who want's to go, then I am going, but otherwise, probably not. :-)